Fuel Tank Size?

Talk about it! Ask the questions. Get the answers here.

Moderator: the JoKeR

Fuel Tank Size?

Postby emore » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:26 am

Does any one know if you can mount a larger fual tank on a UG?  The 15 gallon tank ain't cutting it.  I have a 84 Suburban and was considering a 40 gallon aftermarket tank but I don't know if it will fit under the body.<br>Anyone got some input?
emore
H1 Mentor
H1 Mentor

Re: Fuel Tank Size?

Postby wayne_s » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:46 pm

I had a 40 gallon in the donor, it was way too big. but I bought the stock 25 gal tank at it fits fine. I just had to move the rear crossmember forward 5-6" to a set of existing holes already in the chasis. Another but...I have the 59" springs in the back so venture extended the back of the kit 6". It's tight but not when I  set the bumper about  1 1/2" off the body it fine. I'm making up a nice piece of tin to fill the gap and I think it looks really good. I'm very happy with it. Also I know there is an aftermarket company that makes tanks that mount in the rear fenderwell. they are 25 gal. I believe they are called predator motor sports? I'm pretty sure Sams surplus offers a fender tank on their kits as well. hope this is helpful. -wayne
wayne_s
H1 Freshman
H1 Freshman

Postby jhughes2 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:12 pm

Emore:<br><br>You could also possibly use a saddle tank from a chevy or gmc pickup and mount it inside the frame rails.  It would depend on the type of tunnel you have and where you have run your exhaust if it would fit.  I have one that I could measure for you.  let me know.<br><br>Joe
jhughes2
H1 Neophyte
H1 Neophyte

Postby elvis1st » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:40 pm

classic roadsters ships a 35 gal tank with theirs  someone here went to a custom boat(or airplane) place and had an aluminum tank made custom I guess those places have experience making custom tanks.
elvis1st
H1 Master
H1 Master

Postby ActionPaintball » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:43 pm

I have a stock 35 gallon GMC from a 1995.
ActionPaintball
H1 Mentor
H1 Mentor

Postby emore » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:31 pm

<br>[quote author=jhughes2 link=board=general&num=1042255605&start=0#2 date=01/11/03 at 08:12:34]<br>Emore:<br><br>You could also possibly use a saddle tank from a chevy or gmc pickup and mount it inside the frame rails. ?It would depend on the type of tunnel you have and where you have run your exhaust if it would fit. ?I have one that I could measure for you. ?let me know.<br>Joe<br>[/quote]<br>jhughes2 let me know what the dimensions are and I'll measure up the spot I have in mind to see if it fits.
emore
H1 Mentor
H1 Mentor

Postby cappshummer » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:31 pm

I know that Tony Freeman (formerly UG builder) Hummer 911 that sold his kit ordered a custom tank from someone in Canada to fit kit better.  I was considering a custom tank, but it sounds like you guys have used stock ones without any issues.  I do not want to move the crossmember over the rear axle housing.  If you were to get into an accident this may be too close for comfort.  How well did the stock 95 tank fit?  My existing tank was for a carb model and I am installing a late model fuel injected.  How does this affect tank design?  Is a frame mounted fuel pump just as good as the intank models?
Greg
cappshummer
H1 Master
H1 Master

Postby mandrake51 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:49 pm

Check this out, My ford chassis has the gas tank paralel to the inside of the frame on the driver's side.  When the engine was relocated aft just shy of 10".  When that was done, the gas tank could not be mounted as the transfter case was sitting in the area where the front of the gas tank is.<br><br>For that reason, I had to customize the gas tank by shortening it by 6".  It is a metal gas tank and it was a pain.  But I had no other place to put is as the auxillary gas tank hangs rear of the rear axle.  It lost about 1.5 gallons of storage when shortened.  It was re-welded back together (only after extensive safetly flushing precautions were taken).  You have to be very skilled at this as you don't want pin-hole leaks in your gas tank!  So, it was then sealed with non-corrosive sealer 2x over, then covered with a protective compound for good measure.  Works great! but a pain in the butt...
mandrake51
H1 Master
H1 Master

Postby jhughes2 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:51 pm

Emore:<br><br>The saddle tanks measure 56" long by 12" high by 15" wide.<br><br>Joe
jhughes2
H1 Neophyte
H1 Neophyte

Postby schrama » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:30 pm

Mandake,<br><br>I had the same problem, I shorten my tank about 5" and what a pain since the company that did it didn't wield it up properly it leaked.  Well that was 2 yrs ago and the company went out of business so I had to do it myself.  I welded the spot and then used gas tank sealer to be extra safe from leaks.  That really was a pain todo, now I have only about a 20 gallon tank but its enough for now.  What year of ford did you use for the donor?  Mine was a 97, too new because they change parts too fast its tought to find parts that are changable.  I wanted to get a aux tank at one time but nobody carried a tank that would be an easy setup because of the pump in the tank and an aux would need to be pressurized also.
schrama
H1 Mentor
H1 Mentor

Re: Fuel Tank Questions?

Postby cappshummer » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:11 pm

If I am using a late model FI 350, will I need to have an internal tank fuel pump.  That is, rather than mounting the fuel pump on the frame, I would need one in the tank so that it would be pressurized?
Greg
cappshummer
H1 Master
H1 Master

Postby schrama » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:14 pm

Hello,<br><br>I was told that you had to have the tank pressurized with a in the tank pump for the late model Fseries towork<br>correctly.  Also I haven't found a place that an aux tank will work with the late model fseries.  As you know<br>the fseries are about 6 or 9" longer and require you to shorten the frame on it and doing so the<br>gas tank is in the way of the rear axle and must be cut which lessens the gallons in the tank.
schrama
H1 Mentor
H1 Mentor

Return to HUMMERFORUM MAIN